Wine producer further north of the Algarve. The vineyards are set in a unique environment - mostly schist soils with great natural diversity with cork, carob, olive and pine trees.
Environment: Located in the south of the country, in the western Algarve, between the sea and the mountains of Monchique and Caldeirão.
Soils: Sandy Clay and Schist
Climate: Mediterranean temperate, characterized by mild and short winters and long, hot and dry summers.
- Negra Mole: with a fruity aroma, Algarve’s native grape variety from vineyards over 70 years old;
- Castelão: from vineyards over 20 years old, has an intense ruby red color, concentrated, aromatic wines – raspberry and currant – and with good conditions for aging;
- Aragonez: wines of great elegance and aromatics;
- Antão Vaz: originates wines with citrus color and aroma of tropical fruits, some body and quite fine;
- Arinto: provides vibrant and lively acidity wines, refreshing and with a strong mineral slant, and high potential for aging;
- Alvarinho: originates wines with a delicate floral aroma, with some freshness and minerality;
- Sauvignon Blanc: white variety with very characteristic aromas, easy to recognize, as well as the constantly penetrating and extremely dry style;
- Chardonnay: it is one of the most popular grape varieties in the world, so it is not strange that it is also very present in Portugal. Melon, Exotic Fruits and Apple are the predominant aromas;
- Viognier: originates wines of light golden color, with aromas of flowers (acacia, violet and honey), spices and fruits where peach and apricot stand out. It has low acidity and high alcohol content.
Harvest: Hand-picking for 12 kg boxes in order to preserve the quality of the grapes.
The estate Herdade Barranco do Vale is located in São Bartolomeu de Messines, in a place called Campilhos, between the sea and the mountains of Monchique and Caldeirão , Algarve (south of Portugal).
The estate extends for about 100ha of real natural beauty, where in addition to the vineyards there are cork, carob, olive and pine trees.
The wine production in the estate started in 2016 with 4 references. 3 reds (2 single-varietal and 1 blend) from the Aragonez and Castelão varieties and 1 rose Negra Mole, all classified as Reserve.
To the existing grape varieties (Negra Mole with about 60 years old and Aragonez and Castelão with 20) the new generation added white grape varieties that started producing in 2018 and whose first bottles arrived to the market in May 2019.
It is a project driven by love: to the previous generations and to the local culture.
Letters to Grandfather
As a curiosity, we leave below the back labels of our wines, which constitute a simple tribute to the person that started this path (“Letters to Grandfather”).
The farm remains beautiful. The cork-oaks you planted are strong and healthy, the olive trees big and solid and the berries simply divines. The old vineyard has been maintained with care and total planted area increased. The grapes who made this wine were treated and selected carefully and the production was made according to the best market practices. Matured X months before been bottled. With Love,
The farm is each day more beautiful. We rebuild the house and organized the surrounding area. We even had a Jazz event in the old corral. The wines have had a huge success and this year we launch the 1st white. The grapes were treated with care and selected carefully having this wine staged X months before being bottled. Hope you are proud. I’m very happy! With Love,
2019 was an intensive year: of work and recognition. Our wine is very appreciated, which makes me happy. We won two medals that I proudly received with your great grand-son Tomás. Grandma turned 90 and we celebrated together (including Maria Leonor, that has already 1 year). From the grape to the glass we will continue to be inspired by your teachings. This wine staged X months before being bottled. A big kiss to the sky and continue taking care of all of us.
2020 brought a global pandemic. Times are difficult but we’ve put more energy driven by the example you always gave to us. Released 3 single white grapes varieties, made of grapes I already helped to plant. We are all good, including Grandma that continues to give me her wise advices. You have one more great-grandson: António, which is also Ramiro. This year was special: grandpa turned 100. Congratulations! Hope the party was good, as you deserve. I raise my glass to heaven and toast to you. With love.
In 2021 life started to get back to normal. Thanks to vaccines families and friends could meet again. It’s good to live. We renovated the animals’ building and the churras appreciated. Mum and Dad are great and admired that we have 2 (huge) dogs – Nutela and Jubas. RTP was here and even the President of the Republic appreciated our wine. Tomás is a wonderful human being. He already does business with carobs and Grandma Maria gives him advices. Our wines won 6 medals. Maybe you don’t know, this year Sporting was the Champion. Big kisses and continue taking good care of all of us.